Your cover letter plays an important role in the application process. In this letter you can present yourself and show a future (sustainable) internship employer why you are a good asset and why this sustainable internship suits you so well. So the emphasis in this letter is really on yourself. You tell what qualities belong both to you and the position you are applying for and try to convince the reader that you are the right candidate. We would like to give you 4 tips on how to write a convincing cover letter.
Writing a cover letter is something where many (careless) mistakes are made.
Still, writing a cover letter is something where many (careless) mistakes are made. That's why we will help you on your way to your new internship with some easily applicable tips:
- Good preparation is half the battle. Therefore, immerse yourself in the company's website and social media: how does the company come across to you and how formal or informal are they? With this you can then determine what qualities you can name about yourself and what tone of voice you should use for your cover letter.
- Start your letter with a strong eye-catching opening sentence. With a first sentence you can make an immediate impression on the reader, and make them remember you faster! Think for example of a statement about sustainability, tell why you think sustainable business is important, say something about the company that caught your eye or tell a bit of history.
- A cover letter is a supplement to your resume. Therefore, make sure not to repeat too much about what is mentioned in that document, this is redundant. At most, choose 1 or 2 of the most important things to reinforce why you meet the job requirements.
- Check your cover letter carefully before sending it. Avoid spelling and/or grammatical mistakes, this comes across as sloppy and unprofessional. Have someone else read your letter first, so he/she can see if you have overlooked any mistakes.
- Apply these tips and blow an employer away with your cover letter!