Are you a passionate content creator & networker looking for an internship with social impact? Join the team of Justice & Peace! Justice & Peace is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people who can bring diversity to our team and applicants with a migration/refugee background.
To support our communications, we are looking for:
Communications intern (Human Rights Defenders program)
36 hours a week
Start date: September 2023
Period: +/- 6 months
Justice & Peace Netherlands is a non-profit organization in The Hague that is committed to promoting human rights and social justice worldwide and in the Netherlands. To achieve this, we focus on innovative, positive and impactful approaches at the local level.
Shelter City is a global movement by Justice & Peace Netherlands of cities, organizations and people who stand side by side with human rights defenders at risk. Shelter City provides human rights defenders at risk a temporary place for three months where they are safe, can rely on solidarity and receive support tailored to their needs. We enable them to re-energize, engage with allies and develop their skills, knowledge and resilience.
- You will be responsible for creating new content for the Human Rights Defenders program of Justice & Peace. This means that you deal with all communication about the program on the offline and online channels and website of Shelter City, such as social media posts, E-newsletters, articles and stories, publications, taking photos and videos, flyers and advertisements. You will also schedule posts and update these (online) channels;
- You tailor the content to the various target groups of Shelter City and support in developing Justice & Peace content for the different target groups;
- You ensure that all content is created within the framework of our brands, brand guidelines, and communication strategies, and contribute to the implementation of the new branding of Shelter City;
- You monitor the performance of the Shelter City website and social media channels and identify opportunities for Shelter City;
- You contribute to the logistics, organization, and promotion of (fundraising) events and the creation and implementation of (fundraising) campaigns;
- You are involved in Justice & Peace communication meetings, to ensure consistency in organizational and program communication;
- You are involved in the entire program and think along with the Human Rights Defenders team about possible improvements to Shelter City;
- You monitor international developments, policies, and events in the field of human rights and temporary relocation for human rights defenders;
- You will support with other activities that may come up during the internship, that contribute to Shelter City or the general mission of Justice & Peace.
We are looking for candidates with the following competencies and background:
- You are creative and have an affinity and experience with content creation;
- You have an educational background relating to media/communications (or similar), or a discipline related to (international) human rights and experience with communications;
- You can demonstrate skills in organizing events, writing and content creation, such as the creation of engaging social media posts and texts, news articles, photography, video and photo editing, brochures and other print materials, and website editing using WordPress. Campaigning and/or fundraising experience are beneficial;
- You have experience with content creation programs such as Canva, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign (basic level), and video editing software;
- You are able to translate complex information into clear and appealing communications tools, messages and campaigns to various target groups;
- You have excellent oral and written skills in English and preferably a second language, such as Dutch, French or Spanish (for different target groups);
- You are able to work together in a team and independently;
- You bring energy to the team, take initiative, are flexible, can manage your time, and work on multiple deadlines at the same time.
We offer you:
- Internship allowance of €500 gross per month (based on 36 hours);
- Full reimbursement of travel allowance (2nd class) for daily commute in the Netherlands (up to 100km from the office);
- A part-time workplace at our great office in The Hague city center;
- A great atmosphere in a small and dedicated team, where working hard and having fun go hand-in-hand;
- The opportunity to learn more about human rights, human rights defenders and migration, and meet many organizations and institutions working in the field of human rights, development, and migration.
Are you interested? Send your motivation letter (max. 1 A4), your CV, and a portfolio/examples of your design/written work by June 23, 2023 To Marinah Rahmat, Program and Communications Officer at email@example.com citing 'Communications intern (HRD Program).'. For more information you can email the above address.
Note: Candidates must have a residency permit, work visa, or be a citizen of a European Union country to be able to work in the Netherlands. Candidates must also be able to come to the office in-person at least three days a week, and have a suitable remote working arrangement.