Would you like to experience engaging with inspiring and courageous human rights defenders? And would you like to contribute to the protection of human rights defenders? Then this might be a great opportunity for you!
Justice & Peace Netherlands is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from individuals who may bring diversity to our team.
To support our Human Rights Defenders team we are looking for:
Shelter City Intern
32-36 hours, from July to October
(3 months with a possibility of extension)
During temporary relocation in Shelter City, human rights defenders follow a tailor-made program that typically includes capacity building, rest and relaxation, and lobbying and advocacy activities. Human rights defenders staying in The Hague are accommodated by the Shelter City team, including Shelter City Interns who support the defenders and act as their main point of reference. We are looking for one interns to join our team.
- You will accompany the human rights defenders in The Hague and act as their main point of reference and support;
- You will set up their program in the Netherlands: arrange network meetings, courses, lectures, and social activities;
- You will organize outreach events such as lectures, documentary screenings, high school visits and other outreach events;
- You will accompany them to all meetings and events for support and represent Justice & Peace;
- You will provide practical support during their stay regarding accommodation, public transport, and getting acquainted with the city of The Hague and life in the Netherlands;
- You will support the (logistical) preparations before, during and after the capacity building sessions organized by Justice & Peace in The Hague (preparing materials, booking venues, accommodation, food arrangements, etc.);
- You will remain flexible in case of unexpected adjustments to the agenda or needed support;
- You will perform other tasks relevant to the Shelter City team and Justice & Peace.
We are looking for a candidate with the following competencies:
- You have a strong affinity with justice and human rights issues;
- You have an educational background in a discipline related to international human rights, law or a field relevant to this position;
- You are an excellent planner and organizer who likes to get things done and is creative and resourceful;
- You have excellent oral and written skills in English. Excellent oral and written skills in Spanish is considered a strong asset;
- You possess and display a high level of sensitivity and knowledge with regard to cultural and other differences (e.g. sexual orientation and gender identity/expression, religion and belief);
- You have the ability to show commitment, flexibility and empathy, but also to set boundaries when needed;
- You are result-oriented, proactive, stress-resistant, professional, team player, and open-minded;
- You live in the vicinity of The Hague. Knowledge about life and social activities in The Hague is considered an asset.
What we offer:
- A fee of €500 gross per month (based on a full working week of 36 hours);
- Full reimbursement of travel expenses for daily commute (2nd class public transportation);
- A great atmosphere in a small and dedicated team, where working hard and having fun go hand-in-hand;
- The opportunity to meet with and learn from international human rights defenders and organizations and institutions working in the field of human rights, human rights defenders, development, and migration.
"The experiences that I gained as an intern in the Shelter City program have given me insight into the workings of a social justice nonprofit as well as the bravery and conviction of the human rights defenders themselves. Working alongside diligent and compassionate professionals who dedicate their efforts to support the defenders has given me practical skills and a greater understanding of how I can contribute to this important work. This has been an enriching opportunity that gave me a better awareness of global human rights protection on a local level."
Juliana, Shelter City intern
About Justice & Peace
Justice & Peace Netherlands is a human rights NGO based in The Hague that has been working for more than 50 years to promote respect for human rights and social justice, in the Netherlands and internationally. We believe that local change makers are the key to human rights and social justice for everyone, everywhere. To achieve this, we work on pragmatic and result oriented approaches to fulfil and protect human rights. We believe in innovation and through our projects and initiatives such as Shelter City and Together Here, we create new ways to effectively tackled those challenges, ensure positive change as well as sustainability and to create real impact.
Are you interested? Please send a motivation letter and CV by June 5, 2023 to Anela Galic, Shelter City Program Officer: email@example.com, citing "Shelter City Intern. For more information you can email the above address. Interviews with shortlisted candidates are tentatively scheduled to take place in the week of June 12.
Note: Candidates must have legal status allowing you to work in the Netherlands immediately. Justice & Peace is unfortunately unable to support you in acquiring this.