Are you a creative that enjoys content creation and design to reach various and diverse audiences? And would you like to contribute to the protection of human rights defenders? Then come join our team as a content creator & campaigner intern!
Justice & Peace Netherlands is a human rights NGO based in The Hague that has been working to promote respect for human rights, in the Netherlands and internationally, for over 50 years. We believe that local change makers are key to achieving human rights and social justice for everyone, everywhere.
In our Human Rights Defenders Programme we aim to enable human rights defenders worldwide to protect and promote human rights in a safer and more effective manner, thereby contributing to a safer and more enabling environment for all human rights work. Through Shelter City, we provide temporary relocation to human rights defenders at risk to a safe space where they can re-energise, receive tailormade support, and engage with allies in order to reinforce their local actions for change. In this internship, you will work closely with our Communications team to deliver new and engaging content on our online channels, share the stories of human rights defenders and our partners, support the organisation of events, and more. Via this role, you will directly contribute to the protection and support of human rights defenders worldwide, while learning new skills and strengthening existing ones.
To support our creative communication team, we are looking for a:
Content creator & campaigner intern
32 hours per week
Starting date: Mid-January to beginning February, 2023
(starting date is flexible in the event of e.g. planned holidays)
Duration: 6 months
Justice & Peace is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from people who may bring diversity to our team and applicants from a migration/refugee background.
What will you do?
- You will be responsible for creating new content for the Human Rights Defenders programme of Justice & Peace. This means that you deal with all communication about the programme on the offline and online channels and website of Shelter City, such as social media posts, E-newsletters, articles and stories, publications, taking photos and videos, flyers and advertisements. You will also schedule posts and update these (online) channels;
- You tailor the content to the various target groups of Shelter City and support in developing Justice & Peace content for the different target groups;
- You ensure that all content is created within the framework of our brands, brand guidelines, and communication strategies, and contribute to the implementation of the new branding of Shelter City;
- You monitor the performance of the Shelter City website and social media channels and identify opportunities for Shelter City;
- You contribute to the logistics, organisation, and promotion of (fundraising) events and the creation and implementation of (fundraising) campaigns;
- You are involved in Justice & Peace communication meetings, to ensure consistency in organisational and programme communication;
- You are involved in the entire programme and think along with the Human Rights Defenders team about possible improvements to Shelter City;
- You monitor international developments, policies, and events in the field of human rights and temporary relocation for human rights defenders;
- You will support with other activities that may come up during the internship, that contribute to either programme or the general mission of Justice & Peace.
What is your profile?
- You are creative and have an affinity and experience with content creation;
- You have an educational background relating to media/communications (or similar), or a discipline related to (international) human rights and experience with communications;
- You can demonstrate skills in organising events, writing and content creation, such as the creation of engaging social media posts and texts, news articles, photography, video and photo editing, brochures and other print materials, and website editing using WordPress. Campaigning and/or fundraising experience are beneficial;
- You have experience with content creation programmes such as Canva, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign (basic level), and video editing software;
- You are able to translate complex information into clear and appealing communications tools, messages and campaigns to various target groups;
- You have excellent oral and written skills in English and preferably a second language, such as Dutch, French, Spanish or Russian (for different target groups);
- You are able to work together in a team and independently;
- You bring energy to the team, take initiative, flexible, can manage your time, and work on multiple deadlines at the same time.
What we offer:
- An internship allowance per month (based on 32 hours).
- Full reimbursement of actual travel expenses for daily commute once in the Netherlands (2nd class public transport) up to 100 km from The Hague.
- A part-time workplace at our wonderful office in The Hague city centre.
- A great atmosphere in a small and dedicated team, where working hard and having fun go hand-in-hand.
- The opportunity to meet with and learn about international human rights defenders and many organisations and institutions working in the field of human rights, development, and migration.
Candidates are required to have legal status to work in the Netherlands for at least 32 hours a week. If you are of a non-EU nationality, we kindly ask that you explicitly address this in your CV or motivation letter.
Candidates must be able to work regularly at our office in The Hague. Full-time remote working is not possible in this position.
Please send your CV, a motivation letter, and a portfolio/examples of your previous design and/or written work to Aisha North, Communications Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org, citing ‘Internship: Content creator & campaigner (Human Rights Defenders programme)’. The deadline to apply is 18 December, 2022. Selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. For more information you can send an e-mail to the abovementioned address.
- WO communicatie