Would you like to experience engaging with inspiring and courageous human rights defenders? And would you like to contribute to the protection of human rights defenders? Then this might be a great opportunity for you!
To support our Human Rights Defenders & Security team we are looking for:
Shelter City Intern
32 – 36 hours from March to September 2024 (+/- 6 months)
Justice & Peace Netherlands is a non-profit organisation in The Hague that is committed to promoting human rights and social justice worldwide and in the Netherlands. To achieve this, we focus on innovative, positive and impactful approaches at the local level.
Within our Human Rights Defenders & Security programme is our initiative, Shelter City, a global movement by Justice & Peace Netherlands of cities, organizations and people who stand side by side with human rights defenders at risk. Shelter City provides human rights defenders at risk a temporary place for three months where they are safe, can rely on solidarity and receive support tailored to their needs. We enable them to re-energise, engage with allies and develop their skills, knowledge and resilience. Human rights defenders staying in The Hague are accompanied by the Human Rights Defenders & Security team, including interns who support the defenders and act as their main point of reference. We are looking for an intern to join our team.
Justice & Peace Netherlands is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from individuals who may bring diversity to our team.
- You will accompany the human rights defenders in The Hague and act as their main point of reference and support;
- You will set up their programme in the Netherlands: arrange network meetings, courses, lectures, and social activities;
- You will organise outreach events such as lectures, documentary screenings, high school visits and other outreach events;
- You will accompany them to all meetings and events for support and represent Justice & Peace;
- You will provide practical support during their stay regarding accommodation, public transport, and getting acquainted with the city of The Hague and life in the Netherlands;
- You will support the (logistical) preparations before, during and after the capacity building sessions organised by Justice & Peace in The Hague (preparing materials, booking venues, accommodation, food arrangements, etc.);
- You will remain flexible in case of unexpected adjustments to the agenda or needed support;
- You will perform other tasks relevant to the Human Rights Defenders & Security team and Justice & Peace.
We are looking for a candidate with the following competencies:
- You have a strong affinity with justice and human rights issues;
- You have an educational background in a discipline related to international human rights, law or a field relevant to this position;
- You are an excellent planner and organiser who likes to get things done and is creative and resourceful;
- You have excellent oral and written skills in English. Excellent oral and written skills in French and/or Spanish is considered a strong asset;
- You possess and display a high level of sensitivity and knowledge with regard to cultural and other differences (e.g. sexual orientation and gender identity/expression, religion and belief);
- You have the ability to show commitment, flexibility and empathy, but also to set boundaries when needed;
- You are result-oriented, proactive, stress-resistant, professional, team player, and open-minded;
- You live in the vicinity of The Hague. Knowledge about life and social activities in The Hague is considered an asset.
Note: Hired individuals may be exposed to trauma-sensitive environments.
What we offer:
- A fee of €500 gross per month (based on a full working week of 36 hours);
- Full reimbursement of actual travel expenses for daily commute (2nd class public transport);
- A part-time workplace at our office in The Hague city centre;
- A great atmosphere in a small and dedicated team, where working hard and having fun go hand-in-hand;
- The opportunity to meet with and learn from international human rights defenders and organisations and institutions working in the field of human rights, human rights defenders, development, and migration.
“The experiences that I gained as an intern in the Shelter City programme have given me insight into the workings of a social justice non-profit as well as the bravery and conviction of the human rights defenders themselves. Working alongside diligent and compassionate professionals who dedicate their efforts to support the defenders has given me practical skills and a greater understanding of how I can contribute to this important work. This has been an enriching opportunity that gave me a better awareness of global human rights protection on a local level.”
Juliana, former Shelter City intern
Are you interested? Please send a motivation letter and CV by 28 January 2024 to Anela Galić, Programme Officer at va******@ju*************.nl, citing ‘Shelter City Intern’. For more information you can email the above address. Interviews with shortlisted candidates are tentatively scheduled to take place in the week of 5 February.
Note: Candidates are not required to be a university student. Candidates must have a residency permit, work visa, or be a citizen of a European Union country to be able to work in the Netherlands immediately. Justice & Peace is unfortunately unable to support you in acquiring this.